Busson, Ernest Charles. Died 17th Oct 1915

Ernest Charles Busson was born in 1893, he was baptised on 14 January 1894. His parents were William Edward and Elizabeth Busson. Father’s birth registered in Stow in the Wold, Gloucestershire and his mother’s in Rugby, Warwickshire.

His mother and father married 27 September 1886 in St Matthew’s Church in Rugby. Ernest was one of four children, his eldest brother, William Alfred b. 1887, fought and died in The Great War, 26 August 2014, Mary Ann b 1888, and John Henry b. 1890 who also signed up to fight.

In the 1911 census William and Elizabeth are recorded as being married for 26 years, living at 30 Sun Street, Rugby, and William working as a house painter and John Henry (23) and Ernest Charles (18) as Labourers (brick-layers). Previous census records have transcription errors and record the surname as Burson instead of Busson.

Ernest Charles Busson – photo by permission of Rugby Library

The local newspaper reported that “A second son killed”. “Official news was received on Tuesday that Pte Ernest Chas Busson, of the 5th Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry, was killed in action on October 17th. This confirms a report circulated in the town last week as to the fate of the young soldier. Pte Busson, whose home is at 30 Sun Street, Rugby, joined the Regiment when the war broke out, he was 23 years of age, and was employed at the L & N W Erecting Shop. He was brother to Pte Wm Busson, of the 1st Royal Warwicks, who was killed in the retreat from Mons.”

Ernest Charles’ British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Card states that the theatre of war entered in was France and date of entry 06/08/1915. He joined the 6th Bn., Oxfordshire and Buckingham Light Infantry as Private Busson, regimental number 11867. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal and the 1915 Star.

Edward Charles is remembered with Honour at Rue-Du-Bacquerot No. 1 Military Cemetry, Laventie, Departement du Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France

Rue-de-Bacquerot No.1Military Cemetry, Laventie

Location Information

Laventie is a village in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais, 6 kilometres south-west of Armentieres and 11 kilometres north of La Bassee. Rue-du-Bacquerot No.1 Military Cemetery is 3 kilometres south of Laventie on the north side of the road to La Couture

Historical Information

The Rue-du-Bacquerot runs south-east of the village, from the Estaires-La Bassee road towards Fleurbaix, and the position of this road close behind the Allied front trenches during the greater part of the First World War made it the natural line of a number of small Commonwealth cemeteries. One of these, begun by the Indian Corps in November 1914, was the nearest to the Estaires-La Bassee road and became known as Rue-du-Bacquerot No.1.

The cemetery was used until May 1917, and for short periods in 1918, by the units holding the line. After the Armistice the small Indian plots were enlarged when graves were brought in from the battlefields and from smaller burials grounds.

Nineteen of the Indian graves were brought in from RUE-DES-CHAVATTES INDIAN CEMETERY, LACOUTURE.

The cemetery contains 637 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 61 of the burials are unidentified and special memorials commemorate 12 casualties. The cemetery also contains seven German graves.

The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

This summary was prepared for the Rugby Family History Group by Janine Fearn in October 2015. Many thanks are due to, Christine Hancock, for managing the project, and for producing the “Rugby Remembers” blog and also to those members of the group who provided data from the local papers.

Research achieved from using Ancestry and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web sites.

 

RUGBY REMEMBERS HIM

 

Busson, William Alfred. Died 26 Aug 1914

William Alfred BUSSON
?/01/1887 – 26/08/1914

William Busson – photo by permission of Rugby Library

William A Busson was the eldest of four children of William Edward Busson (farm bailiff) and Elizabeth (nee Batchelor). Birth registered in Q1 1887 in Rugby, Warwickshire and he was baptized 30 January 1887 in the Parish of St Matthew’s, Rugby.

Busson Marr Cert

The marriage record of William Alfred’s mother and father 27 September 1886

Brothers and sister of William:
Mary Ann Busson was baptised 27 April 1888 in the parish of St Andrew, Rugby, where William Busson lived at 854 Old Station, occupation, an engine cleaner, John Henry was baptised 22 August 1890, in the same parish, the family abode recorded as 15 Little Elborow Street and father had the same occupation. Ernest Charles was baptised, 14 January 1894, in the parish of St Matthew’s, Rugby, abode recorded as Little Elborow Street and father’s occupation, a labourer.

In the 1901 Census, William Alfred was found at an Industrial School, Gem Street, St Mary, Birmingham, aged 14, occupation as tailor.

His Attestation Papers have not been found, presumably in burnt records. Below is William Alfred Busson’s Medal card.

Busson medal roll card

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

Rank: Private, Service No: 609, Date of Death: 26/08/1914, Age: 29 Regiment/Service: Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 1st Bn.

An extract from The Rugby Advertiser, 21 October 2014.

“No further news has been received of the three Rugby men , all members of the Royal Warwicks, Pte Geo Goodman, Pte W Busson and Lance Corporal Hancox, who were reported missing after fighting around Ligny on August 26th. The three men were firm friends, the latter two being cousins…..Private Busson is the son of Mr. & Mrs Wm Busson of 30 Sun Street, Rugby, and served for some years with the colours as a reservist. During his sojourn in India he saw some fighting and was awarded the Indian Medal. He was a member of the Brittania club Band in which he played the euphonium. He was very clever with the needle and his parents treasure a number of specimens of his industry at his home. When he was called up he was busily engaged upon a design in silk, and our readers will echo the sentiments of his anxious mother, who, as she exhibited to the gaze of our reporter, remarked “I pray to God that he may one day come home to finish it.”

William’s brothers, John Henry and Ernest Charles also signed up

William Alfred Busson
Remembered with Honour
La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial
In Memory of Private 609, 1st Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment who died on 26 August 1914 Age 29
Son of William Edward and Elizabeth Busson, of 30, Sun St., Rugby.
Burial Place: Departement de Seine-et-Marne, Ile-de-France, France
(Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

Panel List

Busson panel list

International Wargraves Photography Project

Birth: unknown Death: Aug. 26, 1914
Note: Private, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Age: 29.

Burial:
La Ferte-sous-Jouarre Memorial
La Ferte-sous-Jouarre, Departement de Seine-et-Marne, Île-de-France, France
Plot: Final resting place unknown. Name listed on the Memorial.

La Ferté-sous-Jouarre Memorial to the Missing

The La Ferté-sous-Jouarre Memorial commemorates 3,740 officers and men of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) who fell at the battles of Mons, Le Cateau, the Marne and the Aisne between the end of August and early October 1914 and have no known graves. The monument is constructed of white Massangis stone and surmounted by a sarcophagus onto which military trophies are laid. At the four corners of the pavement on which the monument stands are stone columns supporting urns which bear the coats of arms of the four constituent nations of the United Kingdom. The memorial was designed by George H. Goldsmith, a decorated veteran of the Western Front, and unveiled by Sir William Pulteney, who had commanded the III Corps of the BEF in 1914, on 4 November 1928.

La Ferte-sous-jouarre memorial (cwgc)

La Ferte-sous-Jouarre Memorial (cwgc)

Location Information:
La Ferte-sous-Jouarre is a small town 66 kilometres to the east of Paris, located on the main road (N3) running east from Paris.

Historical Information:
The Memorial is situated in a small park on the south-western edge of the town, on the south bank of the River Marne, just off the main road to Paris, The Memorial Register is kept at the Town Hall.

Janine Fearn 19/08/2014.

References: www.ancestry.co.uk , www.cwgc.org and The Rugby Advertiser 31 Oct 1914

RUGBY REMEMBERS HIM