WILLIAM ESMY WIGGINS
2ND LIEUT LEICESTERSHIRE YEOMANRY No 1018
DIED 19.08.1916 AGED 23, BURIED OXFORD (BOTLEY) CEMETERY
William Esmy Wiggins born in 1893 was the son of William Wiggins (1858-1935) and his wife Mary Elizabeth nee Bromwich (1868-1937) who were married in 1892. The Wigginses were a longstanding farming family in Hillmorton.
His father was an auctioneer and valuer, his mother was born in Weedon, Northants, and was some ten years younger than her husband. In 1901 they lived at No 41 Hillmorton Road, Rugby; their neighbours were Catherine Arundel at No 39, a widow of independent means, and Lewis Loverock, shopkeeper and draper, and his family at No 43. In 1911 the family lived at 45 Hillmorton Road, a sizeable house as it is listed as having eight rooms. They had two servants in both censuses.
William was the eldest of four surviving children, having two brothers George Frederick and Henry John, and a sister Mary Elizabeth. By 1911 he is a “farm pupil” living at Toft, Dunchurch, in the household of James Russell, a farmer. Wiggins and Russell later became a well known auctioneering firm in Rugby.
William must have enlisted early in the war as his medal card states that he qualified for the 1914 Star, landing in France on 6 November that year. He joined the Northampton Yeomanry as a Private, and was transferred as a 2nd Lieutenant to the Leicestershire Yeomanry which was part of the Household Cavalry Regiment.
He was invalided home due to an attack of appendicitis and died at Somerville Hospital Oxford, on 19 August 1916, and is buried in Botley Cemetery. His father was granted Letters of Administration for his estate, valued at £2218.1s.11d, on 26 June 1920.
A well as the Rugby Memorial Gates he is remembered on the Old Laurentians Memorial
RUGBY REMEMBERS HIM