Duncuff, Arthur Francis. Died 3rd Aug 1916

Arthur Francis Duncuff was born in the June quarter of 1893 in Stockton, Warwickshire. He is the younger son of Charles D Duncuff (1859- 1932) and Selina Barling, (1857-1920).

He was baptised at Stockton on 14th January 1894.

In the 1911 Census he is living with his parents and elder brother at 140, Bath Street, Rugby and is working as a Machinist at British Thomson Houston (BTH) in Rugby. His father is a Labourer, but is also a Police Pensioner.

He married Mildred Grace Rogers, daughter of Frederick Ernest and Florence Rogers, at Rugby in the June quarter of 1915, (reference 6d 173). She was baptised on 7th May 1893 at St. Mary, Warwick.

In the 1911 Census she is living with her parents at 10, Benn Street, Rugby. She is working in the Electrical Lamp Department at BTH. She was born at Budbrooke Barracks, near Warwick, her father was a Colour Sergeant, with The Royal Warwickshire Regiment..

Shortly after his marriage, Arthur joined the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 6th Battalion, with the personal number 13428. Unfortunately his service record has not survived so his date of enlistment and personal details are not available.

The Regimental War Diary commences on the arrival of the Battalion in France, at Le Havre, at 03.30am on 22nd July 1915. The initial force comprised of 3 officers, 123 men, 72 horses and mules, 26 carts and 3 machine guns. They marched to Quelmes, but returned to Le Havre on the 24th, to meet the bulk of the force: 27 officers and 834 other ranks,

From 28th to 30th June they marched for 3 days to Oultersteen, via Campagne and   Pradelles. They marched to Fleurhaix on 10th August and the next day commenced instruction in Front Line Trench Duty, followed by rifle practice until 16th August. The latter was not so successful as 1 Officer was killed, and 4 Riflemen wounded accidentally.

On 17th August they marched to Oultersteen, and 9 days later to Estaires. The following day they moved into Front Line Trenches south of Laventie HQ at Winchester Post. The diarist records that the parapets needed a great deal of work.

August 29-30, heavy enemy bombardment, lines damaged. After that it was ‘quiet’, 3 Riflemen died, 19 wounded. They went into reserve once more until September 24th. This pattern of about 5 days in the Front Line trenches followed by a week in reserve continued to 27th November 1914. The last period of reserve proved to have more variety: route marches, football and sports.

Arthur died on 3rd August 1916 and is remembered at the Couin British Cemetery11.B.10.

He was awarded the British War and Victory Medals.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s