Frank Hinde Hayes was born in Brinklow, Warwickshire in 1897.
In the 1901 Census, Frank (4) was living with his parents Charles and Elizabeth Hayes at 51, Pinfold Street, Rugby. John W Hinde, who was also living with the family, is listed as ‘Father-in-Law’ which gives us Elizabeth’s maiden name and explains Frank’s second name.
In the 1911 Census, Frank (13) and the family were now living at 80, York Street, Rugby. No occupation given for Frank at this time, presumably at school.
Frank joined the Territorial Army (No: 2216) with his brother on 22 March 1915. At the time he enlisted he was working in the BTH Controller Dept.
Details taken from the “Long Long Trail” website
The Royal Warwickshire Regiment, the 2/7th Battalion was formed in Coventry in August 1914 as part of Warwickshire Brigade, South Midland Division. The regiment landed at Le Havre 22 March 1915. On the 13 May 1915 they became 143rd Brigade, 48th (South Midland) Division. The Territorial Army were fully integrated into the Brigade later.
Details taken from the Rugby and Kineton Advertiser
Mrs Hayes, of 80 York Street, has received news that her younger son, Pte Frank Hayes, has been killed during the recent offensive. In a letter his Sergeant says : “Pte Hayes was killed while valiantly fighting by his comrades’ side, and his death was instantaneous.” He was 19 ½ years of age, and was attached to the Signal Department; and his officer writing to Mrs Hayes speaks of her son in very high terms. He formerly belonged to “B” Company and was an employee of the B.T.H. He was educated at New Bilton, and for a long time was a member of the Church choir there. Much sympathy is felt for his mother, who is a widow, and has six other sons and a son-in-law serving.
On Thursday Mrs Hayes received a letter from a Lieutenant of the R.W.R. to which her son belonged, stating that, “a number of their men were cut off, and it was hoped that her son was one of these, and that they were taken prisoner”.
Details taken from the War Diaries at the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers museum
Frank probably died during an attack to capture trenches at/near the FAUQUISSART and TRIVELET Road on 19 July 1916 and below is a short extract from the diaries.
At 11 a.m. Three Companies, B.C. and D. lining front parapet from FAUQYISSART – TRIVELET Road with A Company in reserve.
At 5.50 p.m. The attack started. “The attacking Companies were in four waves, 50 yards apart with Company Bombers behind the first wave and Lewis gunners behind second, Battalion Bombers behind third and a Machine Gun company behind fourth. They started to move slowly towards the enemies trenches”.
At 6 p.m. “As the artillery was lifted, the leading Companies rushed the German first line from about 50 yards and passed over to the second line where they encountered strong opposition. From the information obtained from the few who got back when the withdraw was ordered the first line trench was completely destroyed. Then from deep Dug-Outs German soldiers ran out holding their hands up and were ordered to proceed to our lines. The Battalion Bombers were gradually forced by superior numbers to withdraw”.
At 8.17 p.m. “Order received to withdraw slowly”.
Casualties Officers, 1 killed, 9 wounded and 3 missing or believed killed,
O/Ranks 200 wounded and 170 missing.
Details taken from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Frank Hinde Hayes
Private 2216, with “B” Company 2nd/7th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
He died on 19 July 1916 Aged 19.
Son of the late Charles and Elizabeth Hayes, of 80, York St., Rugby, late of Brinklow.
Remembered with Honour at the Loos Memorial
Panel Reference: Panel 22 to 25
RUGBY REMEMBERS HIM