8th Jul 1916. Drunken Soldier Causes a Disturbance


At the Rugby Police Court on Monday, before A E Donkin, Esq (in the chair), and W Dewar, Esq, Michael Cain, 6th Observer Co., Rugby, was charged with being drunk and disorderly at Rugby on the previous evening. He was also charged with assaulting P.C Anderton while in the execution of his duty.—Albert Beech, R.E, Rugby, was charged with obstructing P.C Lovell while in the execution of his duty.—Cain pleaded guilty to the first charge, but did not remember assaulting the policeman.—Beech pleaded not guilty.—P.C Lovell stated that at 9.15 p.m on Sunday the Salvation Army was holding a service in the Market Place. Cain was drunk, and was making use of filthy language to the Adjutant and Captain of the Salvation Army. Witness requested him to go away, but instead of doing so defendant used more bad language, and on account of his disorderly behaviour witness took him into custody.-Cain denied that he used filthy language.—P.C Lester stated that he was informed that a policeman was in trouble in the Market Place, and when he got there he found P.C Lovell, who had Cain in custody, lying on the ground surrounded by a crowd of about 200 people. Witness went to the rescue and Beech butted him in the stomach and threw him down. In Pinder’s Lane Beech again interfered, and they then brought him to the Police Station.—Beech denied this, and said he was never within ten yards of a constable until he was arrested.—P.C Anderton said he went to the assistance of the other constables, and defendant Cain was handed over to him in Pinder’s Lane. Defendant kicked him on the leg and in the stomach, and also punched him. He was so violent and threatening that witness had to handcuff him, and Sergt Percival also came to his assistance.—Defendant : I won’t admit either hitting or kicking him.—P.C Percival corroborated, and said Cain was very violent and drunk. He saw him deliberately kick P.C Anderton on the leg. When he charged Beech with obstructing the police, he said : “ I may have caught hold of the policeman, but I did not mean anything. I was not going to let him take a pal of mine away.”-Beech : Are constables allowed to hit you while you are sitting on a chair by the Police Station ? That one (indicating P.C Lovell) hit me on the head six times. P.C Lovell denied this, and said P.S Percival and Supt Clarke were present all the time.-Beech : The boot is on the other leg it was you that assaulted me, I did not assault you.—Cain was further charged with damaging a cell window to the value of 2s 6d during the night, and he pleaded guilty, but added : “ I don’t know how it was done.”—In defence, he said he had not been taking any drink since he left France in January last, after being gassed. If he took a drop of drink it flew to his head, and he did not know what he was doing. He was sorry it had occurred, because it was a disgrace to him and to the regiment. It would not occur again, because he would be “ teetotal ” as long as he was in the service.-An Officer of the Company said defendant had been with them ever since the Company was formed three months ago. He bore a good character, and there had been no complaints about him. His regimental sheet showed one entry for drunkenness exactly a year ago at Aldershot.-In reply to the Bench, defendant said he saw a good deal of fighting while he was in France with the King’s Liverpool Regiment.—Supt Clarke said defendant was guilty of most disgraceful conduct. Now that the Force was depleted it was very hard for the constables to be kicked and assaulted by those who should protect them.-The Magistrates informed Cain that they were very sorry to see anyone wearing the King’s uniform in his position. He was standing there on account of extremely disgraceful conduct the previous night. He allowed himself to get so drunk that he was mad, and he ought to be thoroughly ashamed of himself. They took into account the fact that he had been fighting for his country ; that he had been gassed, which might have had a little effect upon him, and also that his officer had given him a good character. He would be fined 10s 6d, including the cost of the window.-In one sense, the Magistrates pointed out, the conduct of Beech was worse than that of Cain, because he was not drunk. He had been found guilty of a serious offence. Instead of obstructing the police it was his duty to help them, and he would be fined 7s 6d.



Men previously rejected for the Army are now receiving pink notices (Army Form 3299) that they will be required to undergo re-examination. The notice reads as follows :-

You are hereby notified that you will be required to present yourself again for medical examination. It is open to you at any time before September 30, 1916, to ask to be medically examined. If you desire to be medically examined before that date you should address your letter to the recruiting officer asking for an appointment.

If upon such medical examination you are rejected as unfit for any form of service, the decision will be final, and you will not be called up for service with the Colours.

If you do not arrange to be medically examined on or before September 30, 1916, you will be required to present yourself for such medical examination on a date after September 30th, of which you will be duly notified.

At whatever date you are medically examined, if you are found fit for military service you will be able to be called up for service with the Colours after September 30th.

Mechanical Transport.
Army Service Corps.

An Officer will attend at RUGBY DRILL HALL ON MONDAYS
between 11.30 and 1 o’clock and 2 to 4.30 in each week until further notice for the purpose of examining men for M.T., A.S.C.
Applicants must be experienced Motor Drivers, Fitters, or Turners.

F. F. JOHNSTONE, Lt.-Colonel,   Recruiting Officer, Drill Hall, Rugby.
June 22nd, 1916.


Capt F C Solous, the big game hunter and an Old Rugbeian, has been mentioned by General Smuts in one of his despatches.

The Rev C T Bernard McNulty, M.A, vicar of Holy Trinity, Leamington, and formerly of Dunchurch, has recently been promoted from fourth to third-class chaplain, with the rank of major, and has been appointed senior chaplain of his division.

Captain Leonard Sheldon Kench, son of Mr Sheldon Kench, Warwick, is reported to be dangerously wounded.

Captain F S Neville, Northamptonshire Regiment, has been admitted to hospital with slight gunshot wounds in thighs and right arm. His brother, Lieut S L Neville, on duty in Egypt, is also in hospital with a sprained ankle.

By an order in Council the Government is commandeering sole leather produced in this country.

Corpl E J Sharpe, 61st Field Co, R.E, son of Mr Thos Sharpe of the Campbell Hotel, was mentioned in Sir Douglas Haig’s last despatch for meritorious conduct in the field.

Pte W J Baker, 7th South Staffs Regiment, who was reported as missing on August 9th, is now officially reported to have been killed in action on that date. Prior to his enlistment he was employed in the B.T.H Foundry.

Another New Bilton man, Rifleman Harry King, Rifle Brigade, 46 Pinfold Street, has been wounded by a piece of shell in his foot, and in now in a hospital on the French coast. He joined the Rifle Brigade in November, 1915, and was drafted to France in April last. Before the war he worked at the B.T.H.

Captain Charles Clement Ford, Somerset Light Infantry, was killed in action in France on the 1st inst. He was a great nephew of Miss Sale, 21 Hillmorton Road, Rugby, and eldest son of late Commander C R Ford, R.S.M, and Mrs Ford. He died Adjutant of 1st Battalion of the Somersets, his Colonel being killed at same time and place.

Lance-Corpl Thomas Williams, K.R.R, has been seriously wounded in the chest and shoulder with shrapnel. He is at present in hospital at Camberwell Green, and has now been declared to be out of danger. His home is at 45 Pinfold Street, New Bilton.

Lance-Corpl Williams was wounded on June 6th, and has undergone two operations. The piece of shrapnel has been removed, and when his mother visited him on Sunday he was progressing favourably. He enlisted in September, 1914, and at the outbreak of war was employed by the Rugby Gas Co.


Mr W T Coles Hodges, Murray School, has received an interesting letter from an old pupil, Sapper C Batty, in which the writer says :—

“ You will have observed that by the British official of the 23rd June a gigantic mine (German) was exploded, the largest on the Western front. I was in the vicinity at the time, and when it exploded everybody jumped up. We thought the judgment day had arrived. A minute afterwards the guns started, and to hear the noise one would have thought that Hades had been let loose. But when the Huns saw that it was hopeless to try to take the crater the guns gradually died down, and the milder form of trench music was indulged in. . . . In this vicinity a flourishing village once stood, but it is all in ruins now. Never mind in what direction you turn, you can observe the marks of high explosives. Most of the houses had nice orchards, but by now they are ruined, and all that remains of most of them are the stumps, which stand there like sentinels on a field of desolation. The writer mentions that Sergt Bale, D.C.M, whoso death we recorded last week, was killed by the explosion of the mine referred to above, and that he was buried in a small village behind the line.”


ANOTHER YOUNG MAN GIVES HIS LIFE FOR HIS COUNTRY.-Mr Amos Sutton has received official news that his youngest son, Pte S Sutton, of the Warwickshire Regiment, has died of wounds received in action, caused by a bursting shell, which struck him in the head and chest. He was admitted to hospital, but only lived a few hours. Before joining the Warwickshire Regiment he was three years in the Howitzer Battery. He went through the Battle of Neuve Chapelle, where he received a bullet wound in the leg, which kept him out of the field for several months. He had only been out a month this time when he received his fatal wounds. He was 23 years of age.


Mr and Mrs Henry Barnett have just received the news that their son Albert has been wounded. Before war was declared he was a member Of the Royal Warwicks (Territorials). He has been in France 16 months, and during that time has not been home. He has received severe shrapnel wounds in both legs, and is now in a hospital in Ireland.


Mr and Mrs George Wells, of Bretford, have received the news that their son has been wounded. He had been in France for a long time. When hostilities broke out he was a private in the Territorials, but soon received promotion. Mr and Mrs Wells have two more sons serving with the colours.


On Wednesday morning the sad news was received that one of the most respected men of this village, Pte W Chater, only son of Mr and Mrs W Chater, of the Green, Dunchurch, had been killed. He belonged to the K.R.R, and went out soon after the war commenced. Much sympathy is felt in the village with his parents.



Progress of the British troops in the severe fighting in the Somme Valley is slow but steady. They are maintaining all their ground and making some advance, in spite of stubborn resistance.

Splendid work has been done in the battle by British and French aircraft. On both fronts German aeroplanes were kept well back behind their lines, so that artillery could do its work without interruption from hostile aircraft. Following our plans, the French did great execution to the German captive balloons.

“ The Times ” special correspondent at the front says that of our regiments engaged one hears praise on all sides of the Ulster troops, while the Gordons, the Northumberland Fusiliers, the Royal Irish Rifles, the Suffolks, the Royal Scots, the Lancashire Fusiliers, and Warwickshires—to mention some only—have done great work.

Pressure on Germany is increasing from East and West. The battle of the Somme continues to go in favour of the British and French forces, while on the Russian front an attack has been launched on Hindenburg’s forces on a front of 100 miles. Large numbers of heavy guns and machine guns have been captured from the Germans on the West.

Verdin Cathedral, which dates back to the 12th century, is now being made the special mark of German gunners.


In the House of Commons, on Tuesday, Mr Rupert Gwynne asked whether a flying machine of the latest type was recently sent from Farnborough to France in charge of a pilot and observer who had never been abroad before ; whether the officer informed the authorities beforehand that he did not know his way ; whether he lost his way and eventually landed by mistake in the German lines ; and, if so, what steps had been taken to avoid our newest machines being handed over to the Germans within a few hours of completion ?

Major Baird, Rugby (representative of the Air Board), replied that a flying machine of the latest type was recently sent from Farnborough to France in charge of a pilot and observer who had never been abroad before. The pilot lost his way, and eventually landed by mistake in German lines. It did not appear that the officer in question made any protest that he did not know his way. Machines of a well-known type, fitted with a new type of engine, were urgently required at the front, and a number of officers were required to take them over. Some had done the journey before and some had not, but all were qualified as cross-country pilots. The need for those machines was so great that it was impossible to keep them back until officers who had done the journey were available. The journey was not considered a difficult one for a competent cross-country pilot. The Germans recently presented us with a brand new Fokker, whose pilot had evidently lost his way. Every care would be taken to reduce the risks of these occurrences. The pilot in this case unfortunately lost his way, and it appeared that his machine was rendered unmanageable by a shot, or otherwise he would have discovered his mistake.



DEAR SIR,—In the list of absentees, published by the Military Authorities in your paper last week, I was very much surprised to find the name of my son, who joined the Army seven months ago, and had just come home on his last leave before going to France. He arrived in Rugby on Saturday, and was accosted several times with some jeering remarks. It is not very pleasant when one has given up a good job and gone to do their bit for their King and country, and when you come home for a few days to be subject to annoyance through a mistake of this kind. I am proud to say my boy did not wait to be fetched ; he went to do his bit like a true Englishman. I have another boy who has been fighting for his country in France for 16 months, and is proud to do it ; and although I am over the age limit myself and a widower with four children to bring up, I would willingly go and do my bit if the Military can do with me.—Yours truly,

Vicarage Hill, Clifton.


FORD.-Killed in action, July, 1st, Capt. Charles Clement Ford (Somerset Light Infantry, Adjutant 1st Battalion), eldest son of the late Commander Cecil Rooke Ford, R.I.M., and Mrs Ford.


BENFORD.—In loving remembrance of Alfred Thomas Benford, killed in action at Ypres, July 6, 1915.

“ He sleeps not in his native land,
But under foreign skies,
Far from those that loved him best,
But in a hero’s grave he lies.”


BENFORD.-In loving memory of our dear brother, Rifleman A. T. Benford, K.R.R., killed in action at Ypres, July 6, 1915.

“ We cannot, Lord, Thy purpose see ;
But all is well that’s done by Thee.”


DOCKER.-In loving memory of Pte. Leonard Docker, 13106, Coldstream Guards, who was killed in action, July 7, 1915.

“ He sleeps not in his native land,
But ’neath a foreign sky.
Far from those who loved him best,
But in a hero’s grave he lies.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s