Ernest Charles Busson was born in 1893, he was baptised on 14 January 1894. His parents were William Edward and Elizabeth Busson. Father’s birth registered in Stow in the Wold, Gloucestershire and his mother’s in Rugby, Warwickshire.
His mother and father married 27 September 1886 in St Matthew’s Church in Rugby. Ernest was one of four children, his eldest brother, William Alfred b. 1887, fought and died in The Great War, 26 August 2014, Mary Ann b 1888, and John Henry b. 1890 who also signed up to fight.
In the 1911 census William and Elizabeth are recorded as being married for 26 years, living at 30 Sun Street, Rugby, and William working as a house painter and John Henry (23) and Ernest Charles (18) as Labourers (brick-layers). Previous census records have transcription errors and record the surname as Burson instead of Busson.
The local newspaper reported that “A second son killed”. “Official news was received on Tuesday that Pte Ernest Chas Busson, of the 5th Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry, was killed in action on October 17th. This confirms a report circulated in the town last week as to the fate of the young soldier. Pte Busson, whose home is at 30 Sun Street, Rugby, joined the Regiment when the war broke out, he was 23 years of age, and was employed at the L & N W Erecting Shop. He was brother to Pte Wm Busson, of the 1st Royal Warwicks, who was killed in the retreat from Mons.”
Ernest Charles’ British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Card states that the theatre of war entered in was France and date of entry 06/08/1915. He joined the 6th Bn., Oxfordshire and Buckingham Light Infantry as Private Busson, regimental number 11867. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal and the 1915 Star.
Edward Charles is remembered with Honour at Rue-Du-Bacquerot No. 1 Military Cemetry, Laventie, Departement du Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
Rue-de-Bacquerot No.1Military Cemetry, Laventie
Laventie is a village in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais, 6 kilometres south-west of Armentieres and 11 kilometres north of La Bassee. Rue-du-Bacquerot No.1 Military Cemetery is 3 kilometres south of Laventie on the north side of the road to La Couture
The Rue-du-Bacquerot runs south-east of the village, from the Estaires-La Bassee road towards Fleurbaix, and the position of this road close behind the Allied front trenches during the greater part of the First World War made it the natural line of a number of small Commonwealth cemeteries. One of these, begun by the Indian Corps in November 1914, was the nearest to the Estaires-La Bassee road and became known as Rue-du-Bacquerot No.1.
The cemetery was used until May 1917, and for short periods in 1918, by the units holding the line. After the Armistice the small Indian plots were enlarged when graves were brought in from the battlefields and from smaller burials grounds.
Nineteen of the Indian graves were brought in from RUE-DES-CHAVATTES INDIAN CEMETERY, LACOUTURE.
The cemetery contains 637 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 61 of the burials are unidentified and special memorials commemorate 12 casualties. The cemetery also contains seven German graves.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.
This summary was prepared for the Rugby Family History Group by Janine Fearn in October 2015. Many thanks are due to, Christine Hancock, for managing the project, and for producing the “Rugby Remembers” blog and also to those members of the group who provided data from the local papers.
Research achieved from using Ancestry and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web sites.
RUGBY REMEMBERS HIM