Charles Lionel Richard Haines was born on 9th September 1891 in Otterbourne, Hampshire. His father, Charles James, was an engineer at the waterworks there. Charles James had been born in Bermondsey, London and married Amelia Emma Adams on 14th July 1888 at Newington Parish Church. Charles Lionel Richard had a younger sister, Millicent Ethel Haines
By 1911 Charles Lionel Richard was living in Balderton, Nottinghamshire. He had been apprenticed to James Simpson and Co of Newark, a manufacturer of steam engines and pumps for waterworks. He was a student and then teacher at Newark School of Science and Art. He was a member of Newark Hockey Club and the Rowing Club there.
By the start of the war he was working in the drawing office at Willans and Robinson in Rugby and signed up at the start of September 1914, together with many other staff members and men from the company. He joined the Royal Engineers as a sergeant (No. 43159). He arrived in France on 10th July 1915 and took part in the Battle of Loos, where so many Rugby men lost their lives. He was hit by shrapnel and died in Netley Hospital two weeks later of pneumonia. He was buried in Putney Vale Cemetery.
By this time his parents had moved back to London and lived at “Rogate, 76 Worple Road, Wimbledon. Charles Lionel Richard Haines was aged 24.
As well as Rugby Memorial Gates, he is remembered on the Willans & Robinson plaques. In Newark he is listed on the Rowing Club Memorial, Newark Cemetery War Memorial and the Borough of Newark Roll of Honour at St Mary’s Church.
RUGBY REMEMBERS HIM