5th Jun 1915. Alien found with camera


Agnes Louisa Richard teacher, 2 New Street, Rugby, was charged on remand with being an alien, and unlawfully having in her possession one camera, three dark slides, three boxes of plates, nine printing frames, two packets of printing paper, and two negative holders, contrary to section 22 (h) of the Aliens Restriction (Consolidation) Order, 1914 at 2 New Street, Rugby, on May 28th.-She admitted having the camera.-Detective Mighall deposed that he received information on May 27th that defendant had a camera in her possession, and on instructions from Supt Clarke, he obtained a search warrant, and went to the house with P.C Wakelin, and found the camera produced and the other photographic requisites that were mentioned in the charge. There were also several finished photographs, but all of these were of a harmless character.-Defendant said she did not know that she ought not to have a camera. She only thought the ought not to photograph, and she had not done so outside the house since the outbreak of war. She did not know that she ought not have a camera in her possession.-By the Chairman : She had received no warning that she ought not to keep a camera.-The Chairman, addressing defendant, said everybody knew her in Rugby, and although she was an alien, instead of looking upon her as an enemy they looked upon her as a friend. However, she had broken the law, and rendered herself liable to a fine of £100. The Bench agreed with what she had said that it was want of knowledge which prevented her from registering this camera, and they would take that into consideration and inflict a fine of 10s 0d only. She had better register her camera. It was important in these terrible times through which they were going that she should keep as strictly to the law as she possibly could.-On the application of Supt Clarke, the camera was ordered to be forfeited until such time as defendant could obtain permission to have same.



The following Army order has been issued :-

The Secretary of State for War desires to place on record his warm appreciation of the gallant conduct and devotion to duty displayed by Major R A Richardson and the officers,non-commissioned officers, and men of the 1st Warwickshire Yeomanry on the occasion of a torpedo attack the transport Wayfarer, on April 11, 1915. Through the prompt action of Major Richardson and the marked efficiency of the officers and men under his command only five lives were lost out of a total of 189 men, and all the horses (763 in number) were brought safely to shore. The Secretary of State for War is proud of the behaviour of the troops, and regards it as a good example of the advantages of sub-ordination and strict discipline.


On Tuesday last news came to hand that Gunner James Leslie Dunbar, of the Rugby Howitzer Battery, youngest son of Sergt J Dunbar, gymnastic and drill instructor at Bilton Grange, was killed in action on May 27th. The sad news was conveyed in the following letter from Major C Nickalls, the officer commanding the Battery :-

“ DEAR MR DUNBAR,-I have a very sad duty to perform, and that is to tell you that your son Leslie was killed in action yesterday. He was on billet guard at the time, and we had just finished firing when the Germans fired eight rounds in the vicinity of the billet. One fell about four yards from your son, and a shrapnel bullet hit him in the head. He was hit at 8 p,m, and died in the field hospital two hours later, I got a doctor to him immediately, but nothing could be done. He was unconscious all the time. He was buried to-day at 2 p.m by the Rev Bernard McNulty in the field opposite where he gave his life for his country, and was lowered into his grave by the men of my Battery from Dunchurch and myself. Please accept the sincere sympathy of the officers and men of the Battery in your sad loss, which we share equally with you. Your son was a general favourite with us, and he had endeared himself to us all by his cheery disposition and his readiness at all times to take on any job that was wanted. His grave has been beautifully decorated by the men. and it will be carefully looked after by us all.”

The Rev B McNulty, who is with the Brigade as chaplain, also wrote a long and sympathetic letter to the bereaved parents, which they much appreciated, and he added: “ It is a real grief to me, for I have known him for so long.”

Leslie Dunbar was an apprentice in the erecting shop at Willans & Robinson’s when the war broke out, and he joined the Battery at the latter end of August. He was 20 years of age. Deep sympathy is felt with Mr and Mrs Dunbar in their bereavement. Mr Dunbar has not only served his country with the famous Worcestershire Regiment, but has two other sons on active service-one a staff-sergeant in the A.S.C and the other is an artificer on a submarine.

Driver O’Coy, of 36 Essex Street, with the Rugby Howitizer Battery, also writes home with intimation of the death of Gunner Dunbar “ the first casualty.” He adds: “ I am all right. It’s a bit cold to-day for a change. We get sunny weather here-red hot one day ; cold the next ; rain the next.”



“ The bravest act a man can perform under fire ” were the word written by his officer to Mrs Hammond, of Northend, in conveying the news of the death of her son, Private C D Hammond, 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards. For five years Private Hammond’s home was at Welford, and he was employed by Messrs Colebrook, fishmongers, Rugby. He joined the Rugby Howitzer Battery (Territorials), but before the outbreak of the war he enlisted in the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards. His death took place on Empire Day (May 24th). On Friday last week his mother received the following letter from Second-Lieut Lionel Parsons, dated May 25th :-“ As troop officer of your gallant son, I feel I should like to express my sympathy to you for his loss. I witnessed him perform the bravest act a man can perform under fire. He carried a wounded soldier across open ground swept by shell fire, and saved his life. No man could have done more, or have behaved in a more gallant way in the whole British Army. I am proud to have had him in my troop.”

A further letter was received from Sergt H F Allaby, A Squadron, 4th (R.I) Dragoon Guards, as follows :-“ regret to have the unpleasant task of writing to tell you that your son was killed yesterday in action. Please allow me, on behalf of the squadron, to express our deep regret and sympathy in the loss you have suffered. His death was painless and instantaneous, and followed a few minutes after him performing one of the bravest acts anyone would wish to see. In your loss please think always he died in a good cause and well doing his duty.” The deceased only attained his 18th birthday last year.

Mrs Hammond’s eldest son is now serving at the front with the Rugby Howitzer Battery.


Leslie Wood, of the Rifle Brigade, has this week written home to his parents. Mr and Mrs J Wood, of 85 Oxford Street, Rugby, stating that he is wounded, and was taken a prisoner by the Germans on May 10th. He mentions that he was hit by a shell, and his wounds are not serious. He adds: “ We have been treated very well up to the present, so don’t worry about me,” Referring to the battle, he says it was too awful to speak about. It will be remembered that a fortnight ago we reported that Rifleman Leslie Wood was missing, and his friends will naturally be glad to learn the young soldier is still living, although in the hands of the enemy. Reference is made in the letter to Rifleman Keen, of 2 Winfield Street, who was reported last week amongst the missing. He is stated to have been wounded in the head, and his companions cannot say what has become of him.


In the list of killed under date May 28th appears the name of Lieut C Bourns, 4th Rifle Brigade, formerly a master at Bilton Grange.

Seaman Charles Hall, Royal Naval Brigade, who was a clerk in the office of Mr Harold Eaden, solicitor, Rugby, has been wounded in action in the Dardanelles.

So far no news has been received of Mr W H Cranch, 37 New Street, New Bilton, who was on H.M.S Majestic when she was sunk in the Dardandles ; but as his name did not appear in the list of missing issued by the Admiralty this week, it is hoped that he has been saved.


Gunner W J Durbin, of the R.F.A, an employee of the L & N-W Railway, lately residing at 11 Spring Street, Rugby, writing to his wife at Old Bilton, says :-

” We are in a very important position here, as this is supposed to be where the Germans are trying to force their way in to Calais. We are a few miles behind the firing line, and we have some very exciting moments. It is a bit of fun to see us sometimes, but the worst of it is when the Red Cross motors come by us with the poor men in, we see some awful sights at times. There were about 200 or 300 poor fellows suffering from gas lying in the next field to us, rolling about in agony and pain. Some of them have died. There is quite a little churchyard in the same field of the poor chaps who have died. If only the people at home could see the poor men suffering they would see to it that there was not a single chap left at home who is fit for service. I do not mean the married men ; keep them at home to look after the dear ones left behind. I wish sometimes I could get home for a bit ; but it is no use to talk about it as long as I keep safe and get home before the summer is over I do not mind ; but I am afraid it will not be so if they at home do not put their best effort to the call, and the others keep at work in getting plenty of ammunition out to us.” Gunner Durbin goes on to say that he is keeping A1 and getting plenty of food, and wishes to be remembered to all his old friends at Rugby, whom he hopes to have the pleasure of meeting again very soon.


On May 13, the day of the great attack upon our cavalry, the London Rifle Brigade did marvels. Only 278 men were left in the battalion, and during the day 91 of those fell. In one trench Sergt Belcher commanded four survivors of his regiment and two Hussars, whom he had picked up. His trench was blown to pieces, and he had to face a German attack which, by accurate and rapid rifle fire he succeeded in repulsing. No more heroic game of bluff has ever been played, and it saved the whole right of the 4th Division. Sergt Belcher is a nephew of Mr and Mrs J J Smith, of Kenilworth House, New Bilton.



News has just been received by Mrs Farndon, of 9 Russell Street, Rugby, that her son, Trooper Fred Farndon, of the Rugby Troop of the Warwickshire Yeomanry, has met with a regrettable accident.

“ While waiting to embark again and re-join my regiment after an exciting experience on the Wayfarer,” he wrote, “ I have been unfortunate in getting my left arm fractured from a kick from one of my officer’s chargers. I was visited by the veterinary officer, and on hearing that we were sailing again, I asked if I could go ; and, after consultation with my doctor, I was refused, much to my disappointment.”

Trooper Farndon wrote from the General Hospital at Bristol, where wounded soldiers who had been in the fighting around Ypres were under treatment. The men are chiefly suffering from shrapnel wounds, and state that it is the big guns possessed by the Germans that are doing all the mischief.

Since writing the above letter Trooper Farndon has been transferred to the Red Cross Hospital at Clevedon, Somerset, and his Rugby friends will wish for him a speedy recovery.


The following have been recruited at Rugby during the past week :-E Barber, J H Bagworth, J Knight, J Lewin, C R Holmes, and G A Fuller, Rugby Fortress Company, R.E ; J R Wilson and W Clarke, Royal Engineers ; L W Taylor and J H Enticott, Oxon and Bucks Light Infantry ; F Gardner, F Massey, and H P Watts, R.W.R ; E Franklin, K.R.R ; P Nebb, 13th Battalion Glocestershire Regiment ; W W Walker and F Gardner, Northants Regiment ; C E Payne, A.S.C (Horse Transport) ; W H Martin and P M Ashwin, Grenadier Guards ; W E Flavell, 3/4 S.M Howitzer Brigade ; W Spraggett, J Woodhouse, B E Bates, and L Thompson, Rife J Brigade. Horse transport drivers between the ages of 40 and 45 and good wheelers are required for the Army.


1 thought on “5th Jun 1915. Alien found with camera

  1. Remembering my great-uncle, Leslie J Dunbar from Dunchurch, who was killed on 27th May 1915. Last week, on the 100th anniversary of his death, my husband & I visited the village and found his name on the War Memorial. We saw the Roll of Honour in St Peter’s Church, which also bears his name.

    The Rugby Advertiser reported his death in the 5th June edition of the paper and quoted from letters written to my great-grandparents, the originals of which have been passed down through the family to me.

    I have researched Leslie’s story and discovered that, although he was buried on 28th May, later that day his grave was bombed and so there were no remains to rebury in a War Grave. He is instead commemorated on the Menin Gate and I shall be visiting Ypres later this year to find his name there.

    It means a lot to me to have been able to do this on behalf of the family.

    Penny Down (nee Dunbar)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s